• Heidrun Hoffmann brings her Dance in Rhythm with the Body Oracle Cards to Body & Soul. A six-week session starts on May 1, on Wednesday nights from 7:15 to 8:45pm. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-728-9272. Click here to view her flyer. Click here to visit her website.
• Aharona teaches Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga on Thursday evenings, 7:15 to 8:45pm. In this traditional system of yoga, as taught by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, breath is synchronized with movement to link postures together in a sequential order. Utilizing a powerful breath, internal energy locks (bandhas), and a focused gaze (dristhi), with practice the body becomes strengthened and realigned, and the mind is calmed, ultimately leading the practitioner to a deeper awareness of Self. Aharona has been practicing Ashtanga yoga under the guidance of Nancy Gilgoff since 2003. She teaches in the traditional, hands-on style that Nancy, one of the first Western students of Ashtanga Vinyasa, inherited from her close connection with Pattabhi Jois. In 2005 Aharona completed her 200-hour yoga teacher training at the Mount Madonna Center, where she was greatly influenced by the teachings and presence of Baba Hari Dass. Also a massage therapist, her background in bodywork informs her understanding of her students’ bodies as well as her hands-on adjustments. Sharing the practice of Ashtanga yoga, which has had such a healing, grounding, and enlightening effect on her life, is one of Aharona's greatest joys. Contact her at 831-227-4386. Click here to learn more.
• Edward Willey offers two classes in Sheng Zhen Gong, the Qi Gong of Unconditional Love. The Sheng Zhen Gong (standing form and meditation) class is offered Thursdays 12:00 to 1:15pm. And the Awakening The Soul: Intro to Sheng Zhen Gong class is offered Sundays 6:00 to 8:00pm (once per month). Sheng Zhen Gong is a series of natural movements and meditations that help unlock the full range of motion and grace inherent in the human body. When you practice this form of qigong, relax the body and go through each movement with the heart leading, enjoying the movements as one would enjoy being on vacation. As the heart opens through the practice of Sheng Zhen Gong, the experience of unconditional love becomes tangible and accessible. Classes are open to people of all ages and ability levels. Edward Willey is a certified instructor of Sheng Zhen Gong and continues to study regularly with the founder, Master Li Jun Feng. Edward has over fifteen years of experience in martial arts, meditation, energy healing, yoga and qi gong. He is excited to be sharing the gift of Sheng Zhen with Santa Cruz. Contact him at 831-435-0611.
• Vannessa Ewing teaches Yoga on Monday mornings, 8:30 to 9:45am. Vannessa has been studying yoga since 1992 and teaching since 1998. She has studied with Kofi Busia & other senior Iyengar teachers in California, Hawaii and Europe. Vannessa attended the Iyengar Institute of San Francisco's teacher training program in 1997 and 1999. She is certified through the Yoga Alliance to teach all levels of yoga teacher training programs. Vannessa returned in November from two months in India, where she studied at the Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute. Vannessa's classes are unique, in that she attends to the individual needs of each student and masterfully adjusts all students in each pose. Her posture sequencing is specifically focused on re-patterning the root cause of pain, injury, and imbalance. She specializes in injury and disease rehab and recovery. Contact her at 808-281-6916 or email@example.com .
• Aliah Selah Clar Rheinstein DMP, D.Sc., Ph.D.(c) CMT, ABP, CQI teaches Lotus Heart Qi Gong and Sacred Qi Dancing - A Heart Centering - Hormonal Harmonizing - Moving Mantra Meditation on Saturdays from 4:00 to 5:30 pm. Aliah has been a Wellness Consultant/Yoga Teacher for over 25 years. Aliah is a New Thought Musician (www.aliahselah.com) and life-long contemporary dancer (www.aliahselah.com/ASdance.htm) who for over 25 years has been a Wellness Consultant offering the joy of cleansing and optimal wellness for optimal creativity. She is a CA Massage Therapist (www.cocreative.us) who focuses on Medical Qi Gong and has completed the Qi Gong Teacher's Training with Lee Holden L.Ac. and as part of it, she produced Lee's teacher's training videos. Aliah has studies Medical Qi Gong with Lee and their teacher Mantak Chia, who both inspired Lotus Heart Qi Gong, as well as at 5 Branches University of Chinese Medicine where she earned her Asian Bodywork Practitioners Certificate. She has a Doctorate in Motivational Psychology (DMP) & Honorary Doctorate in Science in Integrative Medicine (D.Sc.) for hormonal & longevity findings that she blends with the Lotus Heart Qi Gong form that is focused on Hormonal Harmonization. For more information about Aliah Selah's background and offerings, please refer to the Class Description page on this website (click on the tab at the top of this page). Contact Aliah Selah via Facebook.
• Jeremy Kotenberg teaches Yoga Wednesday evenings 5:30 - 6:30pm. His class is a blend of asana, pranayam, and meditation. Jeremy studied with Kofi Busia in Santa Cruz in the Iyengar tradition, Richard Freeman and Mary Taylor and other instructors at the Yogaworkshop in the Astanga tradition in Boulder, CO. He recieved his BA in Traditional Eastern Arts with a focus in Yoga and Taiji Chuan from the Naropa University. Jeremy uses all he has learned about movement, meditation, breath awareness and sound in his classes with yoga as the foundation that brings everything together. For Jeremy the journey never ends and the magic that is experienced in every moment is essential to living a full and happy life. For further information, call him at 608-852-4869.
• Join Lyn Ackley for a Yoga class on Sundays from 8:30-10:00am. The class emphasizes the connection of breath (pranayama), mindfulness (meditation), and movement (asana). Her own practice accelerated when introduced to Sivananda Yoga in 2002, and then her curiosity about yoga led to Yoga Teacher training at Mount Madonna Institute in 2011. She is currently enrolled in Mount Madonna's YTT500, which will conclude in 2013. Lyn is grateful to her teachers, past and present, her students, and the opportunity to teach and to learn. Click here to visit her website for schedule changes, workshops and more. Contact her at 831-332-5507.
• Path Star teaches Body Love Yoga class Tuesday nights, 4:30-6:00pm. Its a level 1-2 Kripalu style class. Contact Path at 831-331-3868. Kripalu yoga will do more than stretch you and make you strong. It is a unique way to integrate body, mind, and spirit through opening to the wisdom of your own body. Path has been teaching yoga since 1995. She gently guides students through a compassionate process of using yoga postures and conscious breathing techniques to access the body's wisdom, to build strength and flexibility, and to enter states of relaxation and meditation. **Note: Lyn will be teaching this class 2/12-3/12.**
Macramalla, Ph.D. teaches Chien-Lung,
a Chinese Martial Art on Tuesday evenings, 7:15 to 8:45pm and Friday evenings from 4:00 to 5:00pm. Chien-Lung is based on six animals--each
embodying a different way of moving and meditating, and
representing a different system of the body, part of the
brain, and style of self defense. Sifu Steven Macramalla holds a Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology from UCSC, did his post-doc at NASA and is currently teaching at San Jose State University. He was born in Montreal, and began his marital arts training in 1990 in British Columbia. He has been a personal fitness and marathon trainer, yoga and nutrition instructor in addition to having taught Chien Lung for over 20 years. Call him at 831-234-8451 for
more info. Click here to visit his website. Click here for his flyer.
• David Gilbert teaches White Crane Silat, on Saturdays, 12:30 – 2:30pm, and Thursdays, 7:10 - 8:30am. White Crane Silat is a Chinese / Indonesian martial art & Healing Arts System. David Gilbert (Certified Trainer in the Martial & Health System). The White Crane System offers a diversity of training and self-cultivation opportunities appropriate for everybody - independent of age, gender and physical condition. Everybody participates at the level appropriate for his or her body; no one is excluded due to lack of experience or capacity. Our small class size allows for individualized attention. The health system is recommended for 35 years and older. No Prior martial arts experience necessary. If possible, bring white t-shirt and white workout pants. Costs: $8.00 per class - Student Discounts Available. Contact David Gilbert at 831-458-1628 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to visit our web site for more information.
• Jim Gallas teaches Yoga on Tuesday and Thursday mornings 9:30 to 11:00 am.
Merritt, the founder and director of Body & Soul,
teaches Iyengar Yoga on Monday nights, Wednesday mornings, Thursday nights, and Saturday mornings. She has been teaching Yoga for 28 years. Her training
is strongly based on the Iyengar system of Hatha Yoga, which
has given her a gift of working well with people with injuries
and those needing individual attention. Contact Susan at 831-459-8613 or email@example.com . Click here to visit her website.
Susan Merritt is holding her 3rd annual New Hampshire Yoga Retreat, this time in the fall, a particularly spectacular time of year in the granite state. The dates are October 6-13th, 2012. More retreat info on her website...
teaches Iyengar-based Yoga on Mondays 10:00 to 11:15am and 11:30am to 12:45pm, Wednesdays 11:30am to 12:45pm, and Friday mornings at 8:30am. Her classes are designed to explore the depth of yoga: to grow in strength & flexibility, to bring compassion to the body & mind, and to grow in awareness. The last Friday of every month, Karen teaches a Restorative yoga class, which is intended to help students sink into deep relaxation. Click here to visit her website. Contact her at 831-234-1408 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
• Susan Moore-Orrett teaches Yoga for women over 65 on Monday afternoons. Contact Susan at 831-338-3794.
Clicking on the underlined names and terms will link you to a download...